Maryland Poison Center
In the event of accidental poisoning or overdose ALWAYS contact 911 for assistance.
Read the label on each household item or drug THREE TIMES:
BEFORE YOU BUY IT– so you will know what the dangers are.
BEFORE YOU USE IT– so you will use it safely as directed.
BEFORE YOU STORE IT– so you can put it away out of reach of children and pets.
Additional Prevention Tips:
Never call medicine candy
Never mix medicine and alcohol
Avoid taking medicines in front of children
Never use food containers to store household products
Always ask for medications in child resistant containers and use them properly
Poison on the Skin
Remove contaminated clothing and flood skin with water for 10 minutes. Then wash gently with soap and water and rinse.
Poison in the Eye
Flood the eye with lukewarm (not hot) water poured from a large glass 2-3 inches from the eye. Repeat for 15 minutes. Have patient blink as much as possible while flooding the eye. Do not force the eyelid open.
Immediately get the person to fresh air. Avoid breathing fumes. Open doors and windows wide. If victim is not breathing, start artificial respiration (the breathing portion of CPR).
Remove any remaining "poison" from the mouth.
Do not give anything by mouth until you call for advice.
Chemical or Household Products
Unless patient is unconscious, having convulsions, or cannot swallow, give milk or water immediately. Then call for professional advice about whether you should make the patient vomit.
REMEMBER: Always call 911.
The links on the upper left side of this page provide information about potential toxicity that builds up over time and usually is not an emergency situation. Reading these WebMD articles may provide some important information about signs and symptoms of these kinds of poisoning. If you are in an emergency situation call 911 IMMEDIATELY.